Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Beating the Heat

I am now in South GA, and it is absurdly hot here. Basically getting to 100, 110, every day. I recently had a major allergic reaction to, well, something. Not sure. But it was all hives and swelling and scaryness and itchyness. This is one of the reasons that I haven't been as updating as much as I should. Everyone I have talked to is unsure what it is so far, but pretty sure the heat aggravated it. Which reminds me, prisons in this country are not, for the most part, air conditioned. That means there are prisoners in GA and FL and other places, in confined places with no air conditioning. No air for them, not for the guards. This policy is both obviously cruel, while at the same time probably economically stupid. It has to increase medical conditions, increase violence and disorder in the prison, increase violence and disorder between guards and prisoners, and increase turn over among the guards. Just a random thought about the cruel and stupid things we do to people we lock up.