Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mary Daly's dead, how do I feel about that?

As I am sure most of you know, Mary Daly passed away recently. Since I have heard I've been trying to figure out how to respond. I've been unable to really to make a post about that without getting into some things I've worked pretty damn hard to get over. Despite the usefulness of second wave feminism for many people, it did some violence to me. Meanwhile, an early meeting with Kate Bornstein did me a heck of a lot of good. So, Daly (whom I saw speak once when I was an undergraduate) is something of a double whammy with her transphobia or transhatred, and her second-waveyness.
Meanwhile, Mary Daly did a lot of good for a lot of people. She was a singular influence on the work of Carol Adams, for one.

Anyway, it seems other people are saying things better than I. I suggest reading this post (h/t AUFS).