Friday, January 15, 2010

Academic Job Advice

The plan is to finish up and defend next academic year. Which means I am going on the job market. Many of you have jobs doing one of rarest things ever, teaching philosophy. So here it is, a question and a plea: I know nothing about how to go about getting a job. Any and all advice is appreciated. Tell me what what you wished you had know, tell me what the best thing you did was, tell me simple things you think I would know already.

Feel free to post here, or on your blogs. If you want to drop me an email for some reason, feel free at thescu@gmail.com. Reveal the secrets that everyone knows are true but are usually considered impolitic to say.

Link me to excellent things about applying for jobs others have written. Whatever you want, really. And if you don't contribute, you will probably get an email from me anyway.